In 1944 World War Two was starting to near the end. In Moline Illinois William Blaser started offering used cars at a corner gas station. As the year ended Bill found a chance to sell new cars. The manufacturers that were still turning out material for the war effort realized they would need new car dealers once the war was over. William and his son, Stewart were awarded the Nash dealership here in Moline. On January 5 1946 the first new Nash's flowed in to the dealership. From that point on until 1975 we had sold over 45,000 new and used cars at four different locations.
In 1956 they were approached by Ford Motor Company to become and exclusive Edsel Dealer. With the prospect's of the new Edsel we gladly said goodbye to Nash in 1957. Once they were an Edsel dealer in 1957 the once bright promise of Edsel and Ford Motor Company dimmed some what and they stayed with Edsel for three long years. During those three long years Bill and Stewart continued to offer fine new cars as well as a successful used car operation. As the years went by Ford Motor Company offered to
buy out the dealership from the floundering Edsel. William and Stewart held out for the three painful years up until the end of the Edsel.
On December 24, 1959 William and Stewart Blaser settled with Ford Motor Company in Detroit on liquidation of the dealership. Unknown to them at the time they were in the following years they continued to offer fine used cars as well as supply parts to their previous customers. Over the years Stewart and Steven started to purchase old former Nash, Rambler and AMC dealerships inventories. The adventure took them all over the United States. At last count more than
501 different dealerships, warehouses and individuals had been purchased. Since the parts end of our business continued to grow as we supplied new parts to customers all over the world.
In 1990 we relocated to a new 18,000 square foot building so that we could help better serve our customers. Few business can say that they have enjoyed the years as much as we have. In those years we had chances to be several different dealership. We were offered several different General Motors franchisees but returned to AMC. We had also been a Saab dealer and a Volkswagen dealer for a short time. We had purchased the local Studebaker dealer and the Pontiac dealer too. During all those years we have never stayed far from the lessons Bill Blaser learned in all the years he and his son Stewart learned. "Treat people fairly and offer a good product." Few businesses left today can boast they still have the original phone number from over 60 years ago.
The Last Edsel Dealer
During the next three years after Edsel the Blaser's sold quality used cars. In an effort to win back customers who felt the pain of the Edsel, Rambler offered the dealership back to them in 1963. From that point on they stayed with American Motors. William Blaser retired from the business he founded in 1975.
In 1973 Stewarts son, Steven started selling New AMC's for the dealership. In 1975 differences in management and business found the William and Stewart and Steven at odds with AMC. After a long legal battle with AMC they were left with a large quantity of NEW Nash, Rambler and AMC parts.
In 2000 Stewart Blaser passed away. His presence and kindness will be missed by all that knew him. His son Steven and his wife Cheryl will see the family business grow. Offering the same values that have made our business thrive. We look forward to the next years in being able to help and preserve the cars we have loved so much though three generations of our family. Thank you.